Monday, January 23, 2012

"Where are your shoes..."

AGAIN, please know that this goes out for the glory of our Christ, not to bring any kind of notice to ourselves... when I talk about giving of our own possessions, it's not for us to get the credit, but to drive home the essence of all that was goign on... thanks so much!!!....One of the first exclaimers I always give about doing homeless ministry is to never wear something you're not willing to lose!!  The very first time I went down there, I gave my hoodie to a homeless girl named Sarah... and since then, I have parted ways with several hoodies and hats.  Pretty much everyone that has ever been down there with us, has come back home short one article of clothing.  I think being down there surrounded by people who have nothing, makes you realize just how unimportant material items are.  When I thought to myself  "Absolutely not, this is my favorite hoodie"... the Lord punched me in the mouth... It was 40 degrees, she had a tank top, and I was concerned with losing my "favoriet" hoodie... of which I had several more at home?  After that, it become a lot easier to just let things go... Anyway, the most raw and beautiful and experience with thist I've ever seen was from a beatuiful friend named Kil... We were down there by the wall, walkin around passing out water and tryin to make conversation, when from across the parking lot, I noticed Kil walking towards me with no shoes on.... Now this isn't just a regular parking lot... gravel, glass, trash, bodily functions, mud... if you can name it, it's probably mixed in with that dirt somehow...I see Kil walking towards me, and with no hesitation, I tossed her my keys and said "I've got a pair of flip flops in the car"... I just got chills thinkin about that... The beauty of that moment was that, it wasn't weird or unusual whatsoever to see her walking though those conditions, with no shoes on...I didn't ask any questions, because I didn't need any answers... She saw a need, and she met it, with the love of Christ... We never really talked much about it, because to Kil, it was nothing... just doing what Christ would have done... I wish I had the words and the beautiful descriptions that could perfectly sum up what happened that night... but I can't... Giving up a pair of shoes may seem like no big task, but to that lady on the streets, it was one of the most beautiful gifts she'd ever received... God bless, GOd love!!

2 comments:

  1. Sniff sniff wipe wipe. Thanks for sharing that story. You are right. She told me that story but she acted as though it was no big deal. Makes a mama proud

    ReplyDelete
  2. The night this happened I could just see her high stepping back to the truck with that great big smile of hers. So glad they didn't need her clothes or y'all would have been posting her bail for indecent exposure lol. Good job Brenda, she's such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete