Tuesday, January 10, 2012

As we started praying to close the night, I heard a few footsteps walking up behind us... I turned to look, and saw a most beautiful blonde haired lady, a bearded man, and a huge dog standing right behind us... I asked if they wanted to join us in prayer, so they linked hands with us and continuted.  As the prayer ended, we introduced ourselves to Raz (the man) and Diesel (the girl)... Diesel was wearina a pair of camo shorts,  boots, and a black tank top... a tank top is NOT what you want to be wearing if you're living on the steets of NOLA in December.  We talked for a few minutes, found them a few extra to go boxes full of food, and left back for Hattiesburg. As we were driving, God was pounding me for not offereing her my zip up hoodie I was wearing.  I justified it as "but this is my favorite hoodie" or "she probably wouldn't have wanted it anyway"... but the farther we drove away, the harder God was hitting me with it!  I'm not sure if you've ever tried to outdrive the voice of God, but you can't!  We turned around in the middle of Elysian Fields, and went back to the wall, where Raz and Diesel were headed back towards the ciy.  We pulled up beside them and jumped out, and I said "This is really random, but would you like my jacket?"  At first she declinded, tellin me that I would be cold too... this, completely blessed my heart.  Here it is, thirty degrees, and the girl in a tank top doesn't want my jacket, b/c I would get cold... I was selfish enough to try driving away, in our heated car... yet she was unselfish enough, to tell me no as she walked down an unheated street.  After a few minutes of talking, she agreed to take it.  We told them our names one more time, and the man again said "thank yall so much... I'm Raz, and this is Diesel"... at that point Diesel looked up with tear filled eyes and said, "But you can call me Sarah."... Sarah, completely changed my life that night!!  "Street Names" are really popular in the homeless community, especially  with the  young runaway crowd, and to actually get someone's real name is a big deal, the sign of total respect!  It blows my mind to know that something as simple as a zip up hoodie could break down someone's walls... We looked for Sarah and Raz every Sunday night for months, and never ran into them again, but I know for one night, she defintely felt loved...God bless, GOd love!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ok. Now I'm tearing up. Tyler, keep this up - PLEASE!!! Even though I've now got to go check my old eyes for mascara running (so I won't be so scary if someone comes to my door), this story is just what we all need. You don't just read about these encounters, you LIVE them! God Bless you....real good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing!!! keep it up Tyler! God has given you a story to tell and teach, dont stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate yall so much!! Can't tell yall enough how much it means!!

    ReplyDelete