Monday, January 9, 2012

How it all started

I've always known that I had a passion to love and help folks, but I never really knew who or how.  Shane Claiborne spoke at First Baptist Hattiesburg several years ago, and I knew instantly who the Lord wanted me workin' with.  I read the "The Irresistible Revolution" after he left, and it completely changed my life!!  I knew I needed something more, I knew I needed somethign deeper, but I had no idea where to start.   I knew that God wanted me loving these folks, I knew he wanted me getting down and dirty and just being WITH them, sharing love and life and everything in between.  I searched around Hattiesburg for some places to get involved and found nothing, so I searched New Orleans.  I found a place called "Center of Jesus the Lord", and it took off from there!  After some praying, phone calls, searching, and conversations with my friend Robby (who shared a similar passion), we decided to go check it out!  We arrived in NOLA... very much intimidated and afraid... we pulled into the parking lot, around 6:30, and waited.  The church didn't get there till about 7:00 to start setting up, but when they did, it was like magic.  Around 200 homeless people were already lined up, and within 10 minutes, the church had several tables setup filled with green beans, meats, potatoes, pastas, and pretty much any kind of soul food you could imagine!  I grabbed a pair of gloves and a spoon, and got behind my pan of green beans.  The line started moving and I dropped scoop after scoop after scoop on plan after plate after plate, but something still wasn't right.  I was serving the least of these, but I wasn't talking to them, I wasn't interacting, i wasn't loving... and it defintely wasn't enough.  After about 45 minutes, all 200 folks were fed and sent on their way.  We all circled up to pray, and as we were beginning, I heard a few folks walking up behind us... I hate to leave in the middle of a post, but it's time to go home!!  I know it's long and kinda skips and jumps around, but if you know me, you know that's how I am when I talk... Thanks for reading, and I look forward to sharing more about my journey!!  God bless, GOd love!

No comments:

Post a Comment